The Liverpool Stock Exchange produced two bound volumes; one containing photographs of Members serving with His Majesty’s Forces in the War, the other containing images of Clerks serving.
Sadly no further information is given. Are you related to any of the men named in the these photographs? We would really like to hear from family members who are able to share their stories of these brave men who went to war.
images courtesey of Liverpool Record Office, Liverpool Libraries
The Liverpool Stock Exchange was founded in 1836. It was first known as the Liverpool Sharebrokers’ Association meeting in the Merchants’ Coffee House on Chapel Street, before moving into more permanent premises on Exchange Street West, later moving to Sweeting Street. At that time, Liverpool was the principal market for cotton and one of the largest ports trading around the world.
In 1843 a rival orgainisation was established, The Liverpool New Stock Exchange. A year later the two merged and moved over the Royal Bank in Queen Avenue. Several years later in 1851 the Stock Exchange acquired on Dale Street to build a new Stock Exchange. This opened for business in March 1879 and continued to be the home of the Liverpool Stock Exchange until the early 1970s when a smaller Stock Exchange moved to Silkhouse Court.
The Liverpool Stock Exchange kept place with new methods and technologies. By 1973 all exchanges in Britain merged to form The Stock Exchange of Great Britain and Ireland. The Liverpool trading floor ceased 1985.